.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>


Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Another day, a new year... 

It's so weird. We go from Saturday to Sunday and suddenly it's 2006!

We had some friends over for dinner on New Years Eve, but they're early birds. Marc and I were the only ones to stay up late. Hell. If you're not out partying, what's the big deal? So what if a new year has started?

Of course, when I was a kid, I never thought I'd live past 20 or so. Not that I was one of those drug-crazed bad kids or anything. It's just that kids' brains work that way. As a kid, you can't imagine anything happening much past tomorrow. And even if you know that you'll some day be 20 years old... man... that's practically ancient!

Around 1965 (before my family moved down to Florida from New York) Disney announced that they were building Disney World (after having surreptitiously purchased a very large portion of the state near Orlando). Actually, the news was leaked before they'd managed to buy up every bit of the land. But they'd gotten most of it. Real Cheap.


I was so disappointed. I figured that I'd be way too old (by 1971) to enjoy a place like that. Heck. I'd already be twelve or thirteen!

Disney World opened to rave reviews early in 1971. We waited until October to go up there. Dumb idea. We actually arrived on the "Official Grand Opening". Boy was it crowded. And the lines we ever-lasting. This was back in the days when you got Lettered Tickets
(A-E). The A tickets were for the dorky things like a stupid movie theater that showed nothing but old old Disney cartoons. E tickets got you on the cool rides, like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

To this day, I can't remember if I ever actually got to ride that one. It was breaking down constantly. And on that first visit, Space Mountain didn't yet exist.

Now, DisneyLand is 50 and DisneyWorld is 35. I still love the place, even if it was sneakily conceived and I'm not crazy about the Disney company as a whole.

Thank goodness they did away with those stupid tickets.

On our most recent trip, a couple of weeks ago, we visited The Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom. and Epcot. We still love Epcot the best.
It would have been really cool if that area truly was an "Experimental Prototype Community (city) Of Tomorrow," with nifty houses with futuristic technologies. I always wanted to live in a "home of the future" with picture phones and toilets that created manure for the yard.

Ah. So much for our childhood dreams ideas of what things would be like in the future. Where's my friggin' flying car? Why don't I have a picture-phone, yet? When do I get to re-use my crap?

I'd set a deadline for all of this... based on forward-thinking TV shows and near-future science fiction: The Year 2000!

I was so sure I wouldn't live that long. Live till I'm 41? What are you... crazy?




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments: Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?