.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>


Thursday, March 03, 2005

What Passes 

“Goodnight my angel now it's time to dream
And dream how wonderful your life will be
Someday your child will cry and if you sing this lullaby
Then in your heart there will always be a part of me”
Billy Joel


I often wonder what life would be like if I weren’t a father:


I can do without the TV and the enlarged 3D collection. But the thought of a day without Marc or Alex is actually painful. Marc’s going on a field trip very soon. Man am I scared. Not for him, of course, but for Terrible T and me!

I also wonder what I’ve given my kids. Is it enough? Would it ever be enough?

  • I’ve given them both a bit of my ridiculous sense of humor.
  • I’ve given them some of my bad habits. (“Alex, don’t pick your nose.” Daddy, don’t pick your nose!”)
  • I gave Marc “Happy Talk” as a nightly lullaby.
  • I gave Alexandra “That’s Amore” as her nightly lullaby. Hell. It was the only song she’d ever let me sing to her.
  • I’ve given them nearly unconditional love. (Yes. I will love you when you put your damned shoes away!”)
  • I’ve given them Ray Harryhausen and FLUXX.
  • I’ve given them my flu.

I only hope that someday, when they have kids of their own, they’ll pass down a bit of the same.




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments: Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?