.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>


Friday, February 25, 2005

...and the naked little gold guy goes to... 

This time of year, many of us recall the movies we’d seen the previous year. Because, very soon, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will give awards in their yearly popularity contest… err... in their Oscar Ceremony.
I used to try to go to the movies once every other week or so.
It’s been a bit harder to do that, of late.
I did, however, get to see some pretty good movies, this year.
Fahrenheit 9/11 was a blast to see, but obviously didn’t change many minds. I’m afraid that nasty propaganda only works well on conservatives. Moore was preaching to the choir. And MM pulled out of the Oscar contest to let some others share his slime-light. (I have a Love-Hate relationship with MM. Sorry.)
My favorite of the year had to be Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. Charlie Kaufmann really blows my mind (as we used to say in the sixties). I guess I love having my mind blown.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was a lot like the others only a little bit darker. It’s an improvement. Of course, by nature, there were no real surprises.
I, Robot was okay. I hadn’t read any of the Asimov stories, so I had no preconceptions. And the Fresh Prince is always fun to watch. (Okay. Maybe not so fun in The Wild Wild West).
Shark Tale got the whole family to the theater and was worth the visit for that, alone.
Shrek 2 got rave reviews, but I still think the first one was better.
Spider-Man 2 surprised me. Pleasantly. I think that they’re doing the right thing for that property. I can’t wait to see if the next movie includes “Son of The Green Goblin”.
The Incredibles were. That was my second favorite movie of 2004. What a blast. I especially liked the soundtrack.
The Polar Express was another fun family film. I saw it in 3D IMAX with the kids. I don’t think it would have been nearly as fun in a regular 2D theater.
Troy was a waste. Eric Bana was the only actor that seemed to be putting forth much of an effort, and (as I understand it) the script writers made no efforts to stay true to the original stories. Where’d the gods go??
Movies I didn’t see but really wanted to include Oscar nominees: Finding Neverland, House of Flying Daggers, Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events, Sideways, Super Size Me, The Aviator.
So… what movies would you like to see taking home Oscars? Or could you really care less?



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments: Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?