.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>


Monday, September 13, 2004

No Whiner Wil 

To the Editor of EW:
I am an occasional news-stand purchaser of Entertainment Weekly. I have recently considered buying a subscription to the magazine. I weighed the cost vs. the accurate news I would get out of it and my available time to actually read it.
And then I read Wil Wheaton's report of the "nice blurb" that was published in your magazine:

""Whiner of the Week" In his blog-cum-memoir Just a Geek, the former Star Trek, TNG cast member, now 32, fills 260 pages endlessly lamenting, "I used to be an actor when I was a kid."

I must admit that I'm trusting Wil about his account of the communication between himself and the magazine, via his manager, as well as his quote of the blurb, itself. However, even if the reporter never lied to Wil's manager, the blurb is highly inaccurate. I have read the book in its entirety and I can assure you that it is not full of "endless lamenting". The book is, at times, funny and uplifting. Certainly, Wil covers some of the difficulties he's gone through as an actor. Wil writes a personal and honest account of his professional life, rather than writing shallow accounts of Hollywood glitz, as some others might do.
If the EW reporter did, indeed, read the entire book (which I doubt) then he or she missed the point.
Even if you and the entire staff of EW have decided that it sells more magazines to speak negatively of Mr. Wheaton (which I doubt, as well) I urge you to do three things:
1. Please read his book, yourself. You could probably read it in one or two sittings. Try to be as unbiased as reporters are supposed to be.
2. See if you agree with your reporter's assessment of the book and his or her over-simplified conclusions. If you do not agree, you may see why the "blurb" was inappropriate and inaccurate.
3. Publish a complete and fair review of the book or cite some of the many reviews available on the Internet. A fair review would comment on Wil's writing style, the book's readability, and the overall story. A fair review of this book might not be 100% positive, but it also should not stand as one very short misleading "blurb".
I am still in the process of deciding whether or not I should subscribe to Entertainment Weekly. At the moment, I am not impressed.
Sincerely,
Chuck Field




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments: Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?