.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>


Thursday, July 08, 2004

FOUND Magazine News 

My favorite new obsession has been Found Magazine. Like the contributors to this ongoing project, I keep collecting other peoples' shopping lists and tossed away flotsam. I got in trouble for letting my babysitter see me do it. She made me feel like I was the worst father in the world because I was encouraging my kids to pick up garbage.
Oh well.... I've found some pretty cool stuff and had always wanted to send it in to see if they'd publish any of it in a future issue. I emailed them a few times. I even wrote snailmail. The magazine's editor and crew are on tour, though, and they haven't been very quick to answer my communications.
I'm also trying to get them a new retailer here in the Fort Lauderdale area since the bookstore I originally found it in no longer carries it (nor have they even heard of it. They have new owners.)
The other day, I finally sent them a set of eleven finds that I thought were interesting enough to publish. Some of them are funny just as they are (The shopping list including a Hose Nosel). Some are sorta cute, like the notes written by one elementary school girl to her friends (You kill me if you want). I'll let you know if any of them get published. That would be way cool.
I once had a letter to MAD Magazine published in their letters column when I was a kid. I felt like I was famous. For a second or so. (I'm still waiting for the other 14:59)
I'm also continuing to collect my finds at work. The weird stuff that customers send us in their payment envelopes, along with the usual stubs and checks. I've offered to bring my stuff and display it all when the tour visits Ft. Lauderdale in November. They haven't found a venue yet, and I may help them do that. If they ever get back to me.
In the meantime, you can read this article I posted on my friend Kevin's blog. It's in his archives at Hidden City.net, so you'll have to scroll down to 3.7.2004, since that's when he publsihed it.



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments: Post a Comment


Links to this post:

Create a Link


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?